Tuesday, October 19, 2004

October 19, 2004

The past couple of days have been so “Blah” for me. I mean, there were some exciting moments here and there, but the weather really dampened my spirits along with this whole flu epidemic thing. I feel like I’m walking into an infirmary rather than a daytime studio, YUCK! Another thing that hasn’t made this situation any better is the fact that my apartment is STILL NEITHER FURNISHED nor PAINTED. I really do need to get on the ball.

Before I even get STARTED with my apartment, let me just say that I am feeling like all the interactions with my co-stars that are sick are starting to take a toll on me. I’m feeling drained, my face is breaking out, it’s hard to get out of bed in the morning, my joints are so achy, and I have a taste for just soups and drinking hot tea. To top that all off, it’s raining, cold, and windy as all get out up here; MAN THIS SUCKS! To be serious for a moment, I guess I wouldn’t be so worried about this whole flu epidemic if I had hospital coverage i.e. insurance. Every since I moved up here, switching my living area and getting away from home, I have been without insurance so needless to say, I’ve been trying to be careful. I know that once I get the whole “AFTRA” union membership process complete, things will get easier and I’ll be able to receive some coverage but until then, times like this will always remain a bit of a risk especially with the colder weather coming in.

Anywho, moving on to another fun subject, my apartment is STILL in shambles. I have a whole stack of scripts that have been turned into a light stand, a bed that is still without a box-spring and rollers, no clean shades to use, and my walls are still without paint, allowing the drywall to flake a little bit and posters to cover the sparseness (if that’s an actual word). I have been looking through magazines to get ideas on how to decorate my room, but I haven’t made any motions to following through yet because of all these other financial obligations…a polite way of saying “burdens”. As far as a theme for my room, I want to try and keep it light, simple and have a very comfortable feeling to it. Perhaps an olive green or a merlot color, throw some rugs in there on the hardwood floor, add a couple of shelving units... keeping in mind that with any apt. in NY/Brooklyn you must go up and not out to save room. For shades/blinds, I wanted to have light wood if I choose a light color, and dark wood if I go with a dark paint. I don’t know, at this point I’m SO OPEN TO RECOMMENDATIONS!!!!!!

Alright, well this is going to have to be it for now. I will say that the scenes between Buzz and Coop are getting really good. I love the interactions between the two; it just seems to feel so natural when working with Justin so I’m pretty excited for those episodes to air. At the same time, the banter between Lizzie and Coop is getting stronger and stronger; it’s always fun to fight with her. I hope everyone enjoys watching these upcoming scenes as much as I’ve enjoyed filming it!

For more on John and GL go to http://www.Soapcity.com/GL

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Hey John!

Sorry you are feeling so horrible... I hope the overall "sickness" feeling improves too.

If only NYC and TX were side by side, I'd come help decorate, I love doing that... of course, that sounds a bit creepy since I don't know you, so strike that. ;)

I'd got to Potterbarn.com and check it out. Then look for much cheaper versions... I don't know stores in NYC. (Target, World Market) they have great ladder bookshelves and such... or if you happen to know anyone good with carpentry, they might hook you up. Merlot sounds good given I don't know your furniture. I'm a big fan of black furniture lately. Of course, my house is light cream paint, dark blue couches and light wood with pewter.

Anyways... feel better and God bless.

October 19, 2004 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Sorry this is long- but I think it will offer you some good things to consider.


I know you probably don't want to hear this from me- but I moved out of my parents once I graduated and my room mate and I were like, "Okay! No couch, no bed, no table- nothing".

First thing you do- I don't know where your family lives- but asking family and friends if they have anything they can give-let you buy-or borrow. It may seem like the poor mans way- but it's actually very wise.

Second- Keeping in mind that debt is a serious issue and no matter what you hope your financial situation is or will be in the future, it takes years and years to build up what your family has. It all wasn't bought in a day! Don't rush it.

Third- How much space do you want to think you have?

Remember that Light colors make a room appear larger and dark colors make it seem smaller.

I prefer light colors because trust me,once you get a few clothes and nic-naks spread out that dark colored room suddenly is a WHOLE LOT SMALLER and can cause you other problems. Like feeling trapped, not wanting to get out of bed just cause It's so dim and depressing. Losing your ability to concentrate on simple tasks.

If your set on a dark color- try adding a border or painting the top 1/2 dark with a white or light colored bottom to offset it.

Next- furniture again- what you can get from family and friends go shopping for at a second hand store. Even if a couch looks beat up- just tuck a blanket in around it to match the decor theme you choose, and it's a whole lot easier to change your mind on decorating.

If you do go for brand new furnitiure- remember it can keep for years. So, I know this don't sound realistic to you now- but think where you want to be in 5 years?

Go for simplicity not wild. Things that no matter how you are feeling like decorating it can be incorporated in to it. IE: Buying the dark paint "splattered" couch now because that how you feel may not suit you in 5 months when you decide that you want a 'true american' theme an put up the American Flag for display.

Just think before you paint, and use caution when your buying. Go inexpensive for now and after you find a partner to settle down with- then you can decide on the fancy things.

Hope this helped! Lara-Ann

October 20, 2004 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger jess said...

what up moviestar? i agree with "cynn"... your own stuff might make it feel a little more like "home." and possibly a sock-monkey or two. preferably one big and one little. and name them Big Pete and Lil' Pete. hey, it works for me!

October 20, 2004 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger kristin said...

I saw this and could not believe it! I just want to tell you congrats and that I'm so excited for you.

I hope you feel better soon. You 100% need to get in touch with me. I haven't heard from you since you were apartment hunting up there. So much has changed for you, I want to hear all about it. Tons have changed for me too. You wouldn't even believe it.

Hope this message from home helps lift your spirits. If you still have my cell number, it hasn't changed. If not, e-mail me at kthurnher@customink.com when you get a chance.

Again, I am so excited for you! This has been a long time coming.
~Kristin

October 24, 2004 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

John,

I have the fall blahs myself. It's hard to get going when it starts turning cooler. Go get some vitamins and take care of yourself so you can bypass that flu bug. The hand sanitizer idea someone else shared is a good one - I keep it on my desk in my classroom. I'm beginning to think of it as my perfume - LOL.

As for the decorating, good luck. Until you get the painting and furniture handled, go find a poster or some artwork to put on the wall - it'll lift your spirits to feel like you've gotten started on that task.

October 24, 2004 at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home