Thursday, January 26, 2006

THIS IS THE END...

That’s it, ladies and gentleman, the word is in and the votes are unanimous, the Book of Daniel has been officially cancelled as of this week. NBC has pulled the plug on the show and will not even be airing the rest of the episodes. There is some talk though that the Bravo channel may air the remainder but it is very doubtful. This means that all the thousands of individuals who were boycotting the show because of it’s content have received their wish and can now go back to watching a good wholesome show like the O.C. or Trading Spouses or even any of the other reality shows that provide humor from peoples embarrassment and tragedy.

I realize that I have a biased opinion here about the show (Book of Daniel) and I am not trying to slam these other shows that I mentioned above…they were picked up so there is something appealing about them. I am just simply stating (because it is MY BLOG) that these other shows have worse content at times i.e. drugs, sex, infidelity, murder and push the envelope even farther (with what they DO show) than Book of Daniel did, yet that wasn’t even mentioned from what I understand. Granted I didn’t watch all the debates or read both sides of the arguments, but I know what I see on television and what I filmed and I just don’t think it was a fair call protesting even before the first episode aired three weeks ago. If it was the religious aspect of the show, NBC showing Jesus appearing to Aiden Quinn’s character, I have a few thoughts about that. I do understand before getting into anything that there are TWO subjects one should never really get into debate over: Politics and Religion. Clearly I think I am treading a fine line here but if I can’t voice MY OWN opinions here, where can I, you know? I was raised Roman Catholic to which I am very devout to this day. I can say openly though that I do not practice as often as I would like but that is my own issue that must be dealt with. Also, isn’t a priest supposed to interact with Jesus, no matter which specific religion (Catholic, Methodist, Protestant, Episcopalian, etc.)? Isn’t he/she supposed to be the direct link between us, the congregation, and the Almighty? So what’s the deal if this particular character on the show (Aiden) happens to interact with his own idea of who the Lord is and not just when popping pills but when there are other emotional issues that affect him or his family? Don’t they give prescription drugs to those who experience pain or terrible loss? What won’t be aired is how Aiden Quinn got started on taking pain killers, the terrible trauma he and his family experienced. Perhaps that would’ve given some insight and answered a few questions….or maybe not, but now we’ll never know. Anyways, if I am completely way off base here, please feel free to comment on this entry. You are always welcome to and I read it often. Perhaps we should just move on to another topic.

Guiding Light has been going really well lately, despite the loss of Crystal Hunt (whom I do speak with on a regular basis and who is doing well though she misses her NY family). Marcy Rylan (new Lizzie Spaulding) has been doing very well in her new shoes, so to speak, and is carrying the Coop, Lizzie, Ava, Quinn storyline on very intensely. As I said before, I believe her episodes will start airing first week of February, so please tune in and tell me what you think!

Right now, in our story there are a lot of secrets going on, some behind my back and some right in front of me and I’m just too naive to believe differently, I am such a sucker, you know! I am trying to also be strong for my family which is not easy due to the fact that we, the Coopers, have no idea where Gus or Alan are and Harley is losing it more and more everyday and I don’t know what I can do to help out. I guess Coop is just feeling very overwhelmed at the moment and is turning to those he can trust, meaning Ava even more than he has already. After all, hasn’t she been there for him through thick and thin and doesn’t it appear that they might make a cute couple?

:) As for Coop and Ava, I love it. You guys are cute. - Lindsay

I like the little twist between you and Ava on the show :) It keeps me wondering what you are going to do?!?!?!- Lorrie

Anyway, keep watching to find out what happens to Coop and Ava and Lizzie and Quinn next, I guarantee that it will knock your sox off, LOL!

As for those of you who tuned into the Martha Stewart show today and saw me, thank you for your positive feedback. I was first caught off guard that I was going to be on finally but was even more struck by what a babbling moron I sounded like at times, LOL. Of course, Martha did move from one subject to the next pretty quickly so I guess I was just trying to “keep up” with the conversation. Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to write me and respond to my Crystal Hunt sharing stories offer, they were great.

For those of you who received pix and responses to e-mails, you see I told you I was working on it! For those who haven’t gotten one yet, patience is a virtue I don’t have but I really hope you do;p

Once last thing before I go though, I want to give a special acknowledgement to a woman who just recently posted on my site, Ms. Monique M. I will not give too much away about her as you all may already know from reading the responses that she knows me pretty well and I her. The truth is that Monique was the first manager I ever really had when I started back in the day as a model at the age of 17. She was the one who always pushed me and helped me understand where I was in my career but told me to work harder and that I would go far. I never forgot her and she has never forgotten me, as you all see. Monique, I am truly sorry for your loss and I can’t begin to understand how much losing someone so close can hurt. What I can offer to you though is my love and prayers in this time of mourning to you and your family and the memory that you were always a strong woman and never let anything or anyone drag you down. I know that with time you will heal and accept that your mom is always with you and watches you with every step you do and will take. God Bless you Monique “MO”!

All the best to you all and hope to hear from you all soon,

John

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

John...I have been a GL fan for 40+ years and I very much enjoy your work as Coop. I was also a fan of The Book of Daniel, so I was both surprised and upset when I heard that NBC cancelled the show. You proved, beyond any doubt, what a kind and compassionate young man you are by posting condolences to your friend and former agent, Monique. Keep up the good work! -Chip- (www.chipcoffey.com)

January 26, 2006 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Guys' Guy said...

John,

First...I thought you were great on Martha and I loved the secret behind the scenes you did share with us, like the contract stuff and all...being a devote GL fan there was stuff I never knew about. And opera?? Wow I would love to hear that come from your mouth and hope you do something with that. As far as babbling goes, it made you look human and unrehearsed and I think that is a good thing...you were real down to earth and I love it.

Second...I never saw Book of Daniel, only for the fact I am not a big fan of the main star, but believe me it still ticked me off completely about what those certain groups did and say...those holier than thou types...especially with shows like you said running amouk with worse topics and all and don't get me started on reality tv. Anyway, when groups like that stick I usually do the opposite and show my support, unfortunately I heard way to late about it to really check it out.

Third...Coop and Ava. I like the pairing of the too, even in it's smallest stage where she liked him but he was just naive little Coop seeing the world through wonderous eyes. But I see how great the two of them are together. Ava sees things in Coop, his family, friends, interests and she takes them and lets him go with them....Lizzie was too clingy and to self-centered to let him keep doting on his nephews or his family. If she was his center of attention 24/7 she pulled him from what was to make that happen for her. Ava is great and I hope she doesn't change and let Coop still be the person he is.

Continue with your best, Bruce

January 26, 2006 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Guys' Guy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 26, 2006 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Mike Sarzo said...

Hey, I know I haven't watched the show, but I'm glad to read what you had to say about the show's cancellation. I've been listening to the new Rolling Stones song "Sweet Neo Con" lately. I think the first line says it all about the fanatics who spew hate in the name of the Lord: "You call yourself a Christian/I think that you're a hypocrite."

January 27, 2006 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger Elise said...

Hi John, I wrote to you way back like six months ago, but I'm not sure if you remember me. I was in "Look Homeward, Angel" with you way back in your GMU days. I'm currently touring with a children's theater all over the country, and would love to talk to you about industry things, as my contract is up in May, and I'm looking to climb the ladder in this showbiz thing. It's so fun to tune into GL and follow the story, I nevered really watched soaps before this. My aunt is always asking me if she'll see me on one of her "stories" someday and I say that'd be cool, but right now a guy I knew from college is on GUIDING LIGHT. That's her show, and she replied "Coop, you went to college with Coop!" So obviously a big fan :-) I am a friend of Meghan Bohrer's and she was talking about the great time she had with you and your girlfriend in the city last winter. If you have a spare moment, I'd love to make contact. My blog shows the adventures of my year across the country since last June with Missoula Childrens Theatre. BTW, I appreciate your comments from this post. I too am a Roman Catholic, and find it hard to keep up especially in this industry. It's sad that "The Book of Daniel" is not going to make it.
Peace,
Elise Arsenault

January 28, 2006 at 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, I fully agree with you about Book of Daniel. While I never watched the show I did see a lot of clips and followed the debate about it. The sad truth is that there's a lot of 'fundamentalist Christians' out there that can't keep their mouth shut. They pick the oddest things to protest. They'll protest a show where a priest 'talks' to God but they don't say a word about shows like "The Bachelor" which really make a mockery of their precious 'sanctity of marriage'. So much crap on TV shouldn't be there and no one says a word. It's sad really.

Anyway, you're totally right, it's your blog, express yourself! If not in a blog then where? That's what blogs are for.

As for Guiding Light, I'm totally loving Coop. I think he needs more of a storyline that doesn't revolve around Lizzie because I think the character has so much potential. I'd love to see someone cast as Coop's brother Rocky. That would add a whole amazing element to his character.

Anyway, I always read your blog but this one really hit me because I agree with you about the absurdity of Book of Daniel getting canceled for the reasons it did. Sorry if anything I said offended you in anyway. I get a bit fired up when it comes to topics like this. Keep up the good work and keep blogging!

Mich

January 28, 2006 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Lovinglebon said...

Hi John

its marcia (stephen martines' fan club president)... i just HAD to stop by and say HI! i miss all u guys!

well as for the show getting cancelled, i can't believe that the network let the protesters when. i personally didnt even get to see the first show...cause i was at work. but i was looking forward to watching. its sad shows that and joan of arcadia get cancelled, but shows like the nanny... tradingwives keep going.

its got to be frustrating for actors to see so much reality tv. my aunt and i were talking about it last night. its such a tough business anyway, and now reality tv is getting stronger and more popular its got to be frustrating.

i keep watching GL just for you and tom. and i have to say u both keep it interesting! i was a fan of coop and lizzie....but i have to say that i think i like ava and coop better!

well anyway, just wanted to stop in and say HI. email me sometime! marcia@stephenmartines.com i would love to here from u! i miss all the fun with all of us and papa jim! stephens event was a blast because of all of u!! just don't tell him i said that! LOL

January 28, 2006 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger thesoapgoddess said...

I loved the Book of Daniel. At first, I wasn't going to watch since it seemed a little silly by the previews. But, then I read an interview with the creator of the show. I really related to what he was saying about everyone's personal walk with Jesus (or whatever God once chooses) and how he was trying to portray that in the Aiden Quinn character.
I didn't even know that you were going to be on Book of Daniel until I was watching and you appeared on screen and everyone said "Coop!".
I agree with what you are saying about reality shows. Unfortunately, we live in a TIVO world and advertisers shy away from paying for ads they don't think we watch. I think the cheaper-to-produce reality show will be with us while the television industry adjusts to how they will pay production costs for scripted/acted shows when advertisers are balking. I think we have seen this in daytime, where casts (especially GL) are super-trim and product placement is the norm. (Note: I have no issue with product placement whatsoever.)
Best of luck on GL and whatever other primetime ventures come your way.

February 15, 2006 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Kyndra Byrd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 9, 2007 at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home