Monday, October 01, 2007

SO FAR, SO GOOD

It has been two weeks now since my last post and quite a few things have been in motion. Everything from my obvious work at “The Light” to the past two successful weekends of “Angry Young Women…”, the surprise visit of my family and extended at one of my performances this past weekend and the upsetting loss of my beloved Washington Redskins on Sunday (many tears were shed). I guess I could summarize my life as a complete rollercoaster since my last post.

Things over at 523 West 57th street (the home of Guiding Light) are still moving along swimmingly! I haven’t been fired yet (lol) and the Coop and Ashlee storyline is stronger than ever. I know that sometimes it seems like the storyline is in some sort of a holding pattern and that it may frustrate some of you who want to know when that next step may take place in their budding relationship. To this I say that both Caitlin and I feel the same way. We only know up to what is printed in the next week’s script so we are just as anxious as the rest of you. I will say though that both Caitlin and I always make it a point to enjoy every moment that we share on the screen both in tears and in laughter and from what I’ve read thus far it shows.

On another note, I’m happy to say that we have a few familiar faces returning to Springfield that have already started taping and will be airing in the next two to three weeks. To some of you, you may already know who I’m referring to but to those who haven’t checked it out in the magazines and CHEATED, you’re in for a very pleasant surprise I guarantee.

“I am going to express an opinion that is probably not going to be very popular among JD fans but I have to tell you where I have been in order for you to appreciate where I am now. In the beginning of the whole Ashley-Coop story I was not convinced that this storyline would work. I admit I thought it was a sweet story however. I was not sure how it would work out. I still had a few reservations about the storyline until I saw the episode that aired on 9/17/07. I can now say without any hesitation that I see the connection between the two characters. I think the turning point for me was the casual nature of the kisses and tenderness that both actors were able to pull off flawlessly. The scene that I liked the best was the one on the “balcony”; it was very sweet, so now I am believer. Please keep up the good work!” -Raiden

And now to the other project in my life that has been quite an undertaking but a complete joy. “Angry Young Women in Low Rise Jean with High Class Issues” has just completed its second weekend with me as a part of the cast and has not been cancelled, lol!

First, let me just say that I have been bitten by the stage bug and have acquired a huge respect for those that give an absolutely hypnotizing and magnetic performance day in and day out on the stage. I had become so accustomed to saying “let me try that again” or “I can do better if I can get a second or even third go on that scene”. When you step foot on that stage it is do or die time and THERE ARE NO SECOND CHANCES to capture your audience. With all this being said though I have to also say that each performance isn’t always smooth sailing, problems/accidents do pop up from time to time regardless of how familiar you may be with the material. Yes, I have experienced a few surprises on stage with either flubbed lines or faulty props, even MISSING props. This is where the joy of live theatre lies though in how you accept this dilemma and transition through it so that the audience never has a clue. One of the most comically common occurrences in the production involves a rose that with every performance either gradually wilts, explodes at any given moment, completely snaps in half or finally and rarely survives the scene by a miracle. Yes, this prop belongs to me, the one actor with the least amount of stage experience. At first, I thought this was some sort of cruel trick that the cast always plays on the new guy…give him a faulty prop and see what he does. Ha Ha Ha people, real funny! Ok, jokes over, I’ve made it two full weekends now so please pass the rose on to someone else. I could honestly go on forever about the ins and outs of the show but I will spare you all and just let you read the review and interview that was posted on “Broadway World” after my first weekend. The website is www.broadwayworld.com and all you have to do is type my name (John Driscoll) into the “search” box and it should bring up the article. Have a peek and let me know what ya’ll think but be gentle please, lol.

So as I said before, my parents came up this past weekend to see the show. I was very excited obviously because they were coming to support me but also because less than a month after her surgery, my mom was willing to travel up here and start walking. She says that she feels great and that she’s lost weight already which is excellent but I knew that we still couldn’t overdo it with her. Having her in the audience that Saturday night inspired me so much that I just felt free and open with all of my movements and gestures which allowed me to give what I thought was a kick-ass performance. I did warn them prior to the show though that it would be vulgar and suggestive but somehow even with the warning I felt slightly weird walking out on stage half naked knowing they were sitting there. After the show concluded and I had gathered my things to meet up with them outside the theatre director, Matt, pulled me aside and said “John, it's so nice that all your family and friends came out to support you like this. I hope they enjoyed themselves.”

I looked at Matt with one of those expressions that says, “what the hell are you talking about?” I said “Well, I’m sure that MY PARENTS had a lovely time,” and that I would pass on his thoughts to them. So as I walked out of the theatre, opening the door onto the west village street, I saw all these familiar faces that were staring back at me and in unison they shouted “HEY JOHN, SURPRISE!”

Deer in the headlights must have been the expression because they all immediately began to laugh and encircle me. After a few moments of hugs and congratulations there on the street we moved the crowd over to a Mexican restaurant and kept the party going with food, drink and laughter (mostly at me). It was such a welcomed surprise to have them all there though I didn’t technically say anything to them about the show. They found out the details through my blogging and went to the show’s website and ordered tickets but didn’t say a word to me or to my parents. Regardless, everyone had a wonderful time and I’m sure this will be yet another memory that they will bring up at our annual family gatherings, talking about how my New York stage debut included me half naked in a towel that almost fell off with a rose that exploded on stage….good times!

Now, moving from the arts to another form of entertainment that is near and dear to my heart, I must chat about the NFL, ladies and gentlemen. Yes, it was a most upsetting Sunday for me when the unbeaten Washington Redskins fell to the NY Giants. All I can say after watching the game is that it was some sloppy football on the Redskins part. Not to say that there weren’t some good plays but they just got jumpy and perhaps even lazy/overly confident and began to make stupid plays and rack up amateur penalties. When you dominate the first half of the game and then finish up the second half with 17 unanswered points against you and lose, there are some serious issues to address with not just the players but the coaching staff too. Let me preface what I’m saying here by the way by stating that in NO WAY am I any less of a Redskins fan after a game like this but since I do love the team wholeheartedly, I feel that I can say/question these things.

Jason Campbell is the starting quarterback this year for the team and although it’s his third season in the NFL, he just started to get some game time at the end of last season. This I am guessing still qualifies him as a newbie to the position which means that he will ultimately make beginners mistakes. I have to say though that when you’re making a multimillion dollar salary, you are being paid to not make mistakes let alone beginners ones at that. Campbell has a great arm and a strong pair of running legs which he underutilizes from what I’ve seen. He could truly be a great threat in the league if he gets a little more confident in his own abilities and stays out of his own head using the god given talent that he has. So, to wrap this topic up, I will chalk this loss up to a lesson in humility for the Skins to not get cocky but to play smarter and not underestimate another team’s abilities no matter their season win/loss record.

I feel so much better after getting this all off my chest, hope it didn’t bore ya’ll!

It’s now Friday the 28th and I have to get ready for tonight’s show so I will be signing off but please take a few moments to check out the above website for reviews of the show and also if you’re interested in coming to it, just go to www.angryyoungwomen.net and you may purchase tickets. Have a great weekend everybody and talk to ya’ll next week.

I was with Khouree this past weekend for the show. You were fabulous. Thanks for chatting with us for a few minutes. I'm glad to see that your mom is doing much better. I have to tell you that it was nice to see that your family surprised you. That's was very nice and it show's how much they and you appreciate each other. Thanks for the fabulous entertainment on Saturday night. I have told my friends that will be in the city in a few weeks that they have to check out the play.” -Amy

18 Comments:

Blogger Guys' Guy said...

Hi John...

Wow quite the two weeks for you. As always I am very happy to be able to read your blog when you post. It's great to hear and experience all that you experience. You really give a great insight to all that you do and I for one really appreciate you letting your fans, friends and family into your life like this.

I am enjoying the Coop & Ashley storyline and just by those scenes alone I can tell that you two really have a great time when doing scenes together...it's great to see that fun and enjoyment in an actor/actresses eyes when playing a roll they enjoy. So kudos to the both of you!

Sounds like you had an intetesting experience with the opening of the show and with your family surprising you. That is great that they were able to do that.

As for the Redskins...I used to be a fan as a kid...but since living in New England for a very long time I have grown to love The New England Patriots...I guess more or so since they were in the Super Bowl years ago and wanted to be announced as a team not singly like the other team...and to me that hit home. There was no egos, no I am better than my other teammates...but to be announced as a team really showed team work!

Anyway keep up the good work in all that you do! I will remain a GL fan forever and a Coop fan for as long as you are there and a John Driscoll fan for just about ever :) Oh by the way...I have cheated so I have no idea what familiar faces are showing up...but I am dying to find out!!!!

Take Care...Bruce (in Cleveland)

October 1, 2007 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger angelzqq said...

Hey John. Your posts are so entertaining to read. You make me laugh.

As for Guiding Light, please tell the writers to stop teasing us, lol Guiding Light is the only soap opera I watch and it's only for yours and Caitlin's storyline. I love the chemistry, the humor, and the tenderness. The friendship between the characters is touching and endearing and you and Caitlin play it so well.

I read the review of Angry Young Women and wish I could see the show. I haven't read anything negative about the show itself which says alot. Sounds like you're doing a great job and that you're enjoying the diversity of the work. You're so gracious and generous with your praise of your co-workers. That's a really nice thing to see. I'm sure your family did enjoy the show but I can see how you would feel a little bit awkward with it, lol Glad to hear that your mom is feeling better too.

*Hands you a tissue for your Redskins loss*. 'Nough said about that, lol

Have a great week and I wish you many blessing. By the way, thanks for coming back *smiles*

Sharon

October 1, 2007 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger angelzqq said...

By the way, seeing as you're from VA, how did you come to be a Redskins fan?

Sharon

October 1, 2007 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger angelzqq said...

Ummm scratch that last comment/question. I had a blonde moment and I'm brunette *shaking my head at myself*, lol

Sharon

October 1, 2007 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I must admit, your show was amazing. it's crazy to think of you as an actual actor. and i really could've done without seeing you in the towel. and..you're right, this is something that will be talked about in years to come!

October 1, 2007 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Katie85 said...

I hope you're not feeling invaded, but I'm just a GL viewer passing through. It's refreshing to see someone who has this kind of contact with friends, family, and fans, juggling the kind of schedule you must be on. I can't keep up with my own blog, and I don't have nearly as much going on!

It's a pleasure to watch the Coop and Ashley storyline- my mom has had me tuning into GL since I was a kid, and this is the story that has recently kept me hooked. Amazing work from you and Caitlin.

It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time on the stage- I was a theatre major for a long time, and there really is nothing better than that live audience. They feed off of you, you feed off of them, and you just hit that point where you and the audience click and everything falls into place. Enjoy it while you're there.

That's about all I've got, but thanks for sharing your insights with the rest of us. It's making me miss the stage!

Break a leg!
Katie

October 1, 2007 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger mdcl333 said...

Hey John
Congrats on the success on stage, im sure that it must have been great to have your family see you in your stage debut! and probably a good thing that they didnt know you were there till the end!

I totally agree with your take on the skins this year. I was born in D.C. and then transplanted to Florida...and we should have had that game against the giants. They are a much better team than last year already and with the addition of Keenan Mcardell perhaps we can get that offense moving...and they will need to against the 3-1 Lions! campbell needs to just be turned loose and Portis and Cooley need to be involved as much aa possible!

Always nice to have another skins fan around...its been far too long since we really had something to cheer about!

October 2, 2007 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger jess said...

hey... ruben and i went to that game. it was even more disappointing in person. and the insane price of beer didn't help much. can't wait for saturday!! trying to decide on car or train... hmm.

October 2, 2007 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi John...

Just wanted to say that it's awesome to see that you are so passionate about football! I totally understand your disapointment about the Skins first loss...I just had to suffer through my Steelers first loss of the season. The week seems to go so much better when your team wins. I hope Antwaan Randel El (former Steeler) steps up and earns the big paycheck that the Skins give him. He can be an amazing player...did you see Super Bowl XL? Anyway...I enjoy your passion...and the fact that you expressed it here. You kick ass! Thanks for being a "real" guy!

Joanie

October 3, 2007 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger kristin said...

sorry that i keep missing you...

also, you're whole thing about the rose falling apart on you just reminded me of your wshs stage experience with that glass that you had to throw across the stage. the best time with that was when the glass just bounced and then rolled off the edge of the stage. i have way too good of a memory i think :)

anyway, hopefully we can catch up soon. glad the show is going well.

October 3, 2007 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Aconner said...

Thanks for highlighting my quote to you regarding your family. It'something I sureley won't forget. Thanks for the update. I just read that they are closing AYW as of the 20th. Wasn't sure if you were going to be doing the last two weeks or not, since I might be taking my cousin into the city as a surprise and was hoping to bring her to the show. Hope the GL fanclub weekend was fun, I will definitely be going next year, wasn't able to due to family committments this year. Hope to see more posts from you soon.
Amy

October 9, 2007 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Linda and Graysen said...

Hey.. I just wanted to say that I love .. LOVE.. the story with *Coop* and *Ashley*. I enjoy it so much because I am the 'fat' girl that rarely gets asked out.. LOL.. or I should say used too.. Things change, you have a baby, and anyway. I just wanted to let you know that I love this story and how it's playing out. I did notice some ackwardness though in the beginning when Ashley and Coop were kissing. Is that because it was really awkward for you both, or were you just trying to play that on screen? I know people make mean comments about *Ashley* because she's a bigger gal, but I hope that it doesn't affect Caitlyn at all. I hope all is going well. I hope your mother is feeling lots better from her surgery. :) God bless you!

Linda

October 10, 2007 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! I can not believe it! I can't sleep and was so bored I am organizing my "bookmarks" and clicked on this link and must have checked the date 10 times (due to lack of sleep) I realized I was not dreaming you had a new blog!
(If I am still dreaming then this looks crazy, but that’s ok I think I might be LOL!)

I had been thinking of sending you an email, I wanted to see how you are and Sarah? Candice gave me some updates from GL weekend. But due to my boys fighting and screaming our conversation got cut short. ;)

I am so happy for you on the role in the play! I heard great things about it. I wish I could come and see it, but the many excuses of life.

I do love Coop and Ashley! I am over a week behind on my watching but I have them all recorded! Once school started back up I have been very behind. I watch as I can and try not to read any spoilers.

I am going to try and get some sleep now, but I had to say Hi! It is great to hear what you are up too. Keeps us stay at home moms :)hehehe

BTW. I am a Steelers fan so I can't complain to much the season is looking good!

Glad your mom is doing good! That is scary when mom has to have surgery!
((hugs))
Kim

October 12, 2007 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Khouree said...

John,

As always, I enjoy reading your blog and this time is no different! You touched upon two really important points – the hilarious play that I had the opportunity to see and of course one of my favorite things in this world, FOOTBALL!

Let me start by saying that I had no clue what I was in for when Amy and I decided to set out on a Saturday night for a fun girls night in the city. Both of us needed a break from work and reality (in general) and thought that a night of comedy in the Big Apple would be just what the doctor ordered. We had such a great time, laughed at every scene, gasped when you came out in just a towel and covered completely in baby oil, and most of all we were moved by the support of all your family that was there that evening. I’m glad that you are surrounded by people that love, care and support you so much…you’re a great person and a talented actor and you deserve the very best. I thank you for a fantastic performance and for letting me leave all of my stress behind – it was totally worth the trip!

I completely understand that you are a devoted Redskins fan and your team is currently ranked 3rd in the NFC. The young Jason Campbell does have a bright future ahead no doubt being 6’5 and a first round draft pick, however, I must say that he is no Tom Brady at this point in his career. Let me clarify that I’m not one of those Pats fans that just jumped on the wagon when they started gathering Superbowl rings – oh no – we’re talking all the way back to the Steve Grogan and Superbowl Shuffle days. I can’t help it, I grew up in Boston, it’s practically in my blood! This weekend I did just what T.O. wanted me to do…I got my popcorn ready, put on my blue #54 Tedi Bruschi jersey, and watched Tommy work his way up to a 128.9 QB rating. Serving Mr. Owens and Tony Romo their first loss of the season I must say was pretty satisfying. I’m hoping that Tom can smash Peyton’s TD passing record this year, but it’s too early in the season to speculate so I’ll refrain (for now anyway). Regardless of who the best running back, quarter back or full back is – it’s a great football season this year and I do wish the Redskins all the luck in the world because they are gonna need it on 10/28/07 when they make it to Gillette Stadium!!!!!! In pure T.O. fashion - Time to get out your Kleenex ;)

May your injuries be minor and may all your field goals be good,
Take care of yourself John…it was really great to see you.
- Khouree

October 16, 2007 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Piff Tannen said...

hey, whats up man? i didnt know you had a blog on here, good stuff. ill post a link to yours on mine. keep up the good work.

jeff

November 6, 2007 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Lianna said...

Hey John,
This is a little random, but do you remember me? Lianna? I worked with you at BG in New York like 4 years ago? I was home sick one day watching soap operas and I thought to myself "what was that guys name from bubba's who got cast in a soap opera?", I remembered and googled you for fun(yes, i googled you) to see how you were doing with your career.....obviously quite well. Good Job! Well, I just thought i'd post a comment and say "Hi".

November 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger Jami said...

I don't know what kind of surgery your mom had, but she is in my thoughts and prayers. Any kind of surgery is scary, but let's hope she gets stronger and gets better. I am 24 years old and almost died when I was almost 23 from gastric bypass surgery. I lost 170 lbs but my life fell apart because of it, I ended up in a wheelchair and have gone through over a year's worth of physical therapy. I still have problems from it, but the one thing that kept me going was knowing I would one day get better, even though the doctors said I may would never walk again. I tried to watch the show while I was in rehabilitation, but had a therapy session at 3 everyday. I've been home for a while now and I'm doing wonderful walking, just can't find a job because I lost some of my hearing and my short-term memory. If I had thought I was beautiful being big this wouldn't have happened or if the dr. had done his part. Nevertheless, you are an inspiration. Everyone on the show is just fantastic and I enjoy watching it. Thank you from the bottom my heart for being an actor and for letting me tell you some of my story. Continue to do what you are doing. You're great!

November 12, 2007 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Oh my goodness! I heard you were on a soap opera so I googled you! and my goodness you have been busy. Sounds like you are doing awesome though. It's been years since I last talked to you and I heard thru the grapevine that you are doing great things and really going places. Congrats! Hope everything continues to go well for you, Take Care!

November 14, 2007 at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home